The thought of ending up in a nursing home can be scary. Part of that fear is the misconception that once you go to a nursing home, you are stuck there. However, that is not the case. There is program called Indiana Money Follows the Person (MFP) that has the sole purpose of helping individuals transition out of the nursing facility and back into their own homes, so long as it is safe for the person to do so.
What Is MFP?
Money Follows the Person (MFP) is a program designed to move individuals from institutional settings to home and community-based settings. It is funded through a federal grant from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Who is Eligible?
- • Must be a current resident of a qualifying institution (nursing facility)
- • Must have been a resident for the past 90 consecutive days (not counting Medicare days)
- • Must have needs that can be safely met through services in the community.
- • Must be an Indiana Medicaid eligible recipient at least one day prior to discharge from institution
- • Must meet the minimum requirements for a funding source that is currently partnering with Indiana’s MFP program.
What Does MFP Do?
- • Provide case management services to assess needs and assist in setting up housing, medical equipment and in-home services that will be needed in the home setting
- • Provides ongoing case management to monitor their safety and services to ensure all needs are being met
- • Provides up to $1,500 community transitions allowance to help transition from the nursing facility to the community.
Potential Services Through MFP:
- • Case Management
- • Home Delivered Meals
- • Personal Emergency Response System
- • Attendant Care
- • Adult Day Care
- • Medication Administration Systems
- • Respite Home Health Aide
- • Structured Family Caregiving
- • Home and Environmental Modifications
- • Respite RN
- • Pest Control
- • Assisted Living
How Do I Apply?
Contact SWIRCA & More’s Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) at (812) 464-7817 or (800) 400-0779.
For more information, click here.